Monday 20 October 2008

What I'm Up To Today

I am happily (make that hysterically) listening to the Lime & Violet's Daily Chum podcast whilst updating my blog and working on Heather's scarf. So, I thought I would post a couple of pictures of my latest projects. I was planning on just working on the scarf, but I may be laughing too hard to actually follow the pattern correctly.

So, let's start with the scarf. I found the pattern which I am kinda/sorta following but not totally because, yeah, that's just me...ooh, look a castle...snaps fingers okay, I'm back now. Yes, the pattern. Well, here's the story - several years ago, when Heather was in college, we attended a play called "The Laramie Project" which was based on the events of the 1998 murder of Matthew Wayne Shepard. About a week ago, I was noodling around on the Net and I found two patterns that were designed in Matthew's memory. I, of course, sent the link to Heather and asked her if she would like me to make her one of the scarves. She picked the pattern called "Matthew" and expressed the opinion that it was probably too hard and I shouldn't really bother...which, of course, I took as a challenge.




So, here is my version of the Matthew scarf. I am constantly reminded of the kids who performed in the play and the story of Matthew so I am dedicating this scarf to the memory of all of you guys...whether you know it or not.


The other WIP that is amazingly nearly finished is my socks. (cue Daffy Duck saying "Mine, mine, all mine!") This is a cobbling together of several patterns, of course, because it's just too boring to use only one when 2 or more will do, right? The yarn is Cervinia Calzetteria which I got from Smiley's Yarns a couple of years ago and is 70 percent wool. I can't wait to finish so I can wear them now that the weather is turning colder. These are knit toe-up, which is now my favourite way to make socks. Heels and toes are garter stitch but the pattern stitch is (I think) from Charlene Schurch's second sock book, More Sensational Knitted Socks (can you tell I started these quite a while ago?). I can finally see the end of the skeins so I must be nearly finished. Happy sock dance!


Well, I have to go pick up my artistic daughter, Mary, who has been spending several days with an equally creative friend, wreaking havoc (I'm sure) on said friend's house. The first night they were together, they painted the glass in the French doors to look like stained glass. Oh, and I guess I should mention that they did this in the wee hours of the morning because these two girls are major night owls. She is having such a good time, I'm lucky she's actually letting me bring her home. I had to bribe her by offering to let her paint my French doors which I'm sure she will want me to post here. I'm hoping to get my SO to drive to pick her up so I can work on Heather's scarf. We shall see!

2 comments:

Paul F. McDonald said...

It's all pattern, my darling. Awesome blog. Best layout ever. And filled with helpful hints and information. Can I just assure the people reading that we did in fact get home to see Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles in time?

Anonymous said...

Interesting fact - I've been reading the livejournal of Violet (of Lime&Violet fame) since before she started that project. Since before she got married, even.

It's interesting to get the backstory on some of her podcasts & the like. I'll have to look up her username for you.